In their efforts to reduce carbon emissions and minimise its impact on the environment, Qatar, the world’s largest supplier of liquefied natural gas, is planning more solar projects!
🌍 As such, Qatar’s Siraj Energy, Total and Marubeni have signed an agreement to build a solar power project with a capacity of around 800 megawatts with a budget of $467 million.
Qatar’s Siraj Energy, a joint venture owned by QP and Qatar Electricity and Water Company (QEWC), will hold a 60 per cent stake in the solar plant. The remaining 40 per cent will be owned by both Marubeni and Total.
“Today is the commencement of the project itself and we expect by the first quarter of 2021 to have half of the (plant’s) capacity up and running,” Kaabi said, adding that the project will reach full capacity by the first quarter of 2022.
Kaabi said that Qatar, the world’s largest supplier of liquefied natural gas (LNG), plans more solar projects as the country aims to reduce carbon emissions and minimise its impact on the environment.
In October Kaabi said that Qatar had commissioned a carbon capture and storage plant and aims to sequester 5 million tonnes of carbon from its LNG operations by 2025.